TERRITORIAL STATEHOUSE STATE PARK MUSEUM PHOTOS
Territorial Statehouse in Fillmore is Utah’s oldest existing governmental building. In anticipation of Utah’s statehood, early pioneer Brigham Young directed construction of the building as the state’s capitol. Only the south wing was ever completed. The existing portion was finished in time for the December 1855 meeting of the Territorial Legislature. This was the only full session ever held in the old statehouse. In December 1858, the seat of government was returned to Salt Lake City.
Territorial Statehouse State Park Museum offers a museum store and auditorium. Also, an All-American Rose Society Garden and picnic areas adjoin the museum. Two restored pioneer cabins and an 1867 stone schoolhouse are also located on the grounds. Camping and lodging facilities are located nearby.
Displays include, military weapons and pioneer-era tools, as well as, Native American artifacts, portraits, a jail cell, wood and stone working tools, and a printing press.
Governor Brigham Young’s office and a Presbyterian school teacher’s quarters, as well as, Governor Jon Huntsman Jr. room, musical instruments,books, pioneer-era china and pottery, and textiles are also on display.
PARK HOURS & FEES
50 W. Capitol Ave
Fillmore, UT 84631
For more information click HERE.
Have you visited this state park? If so, please leave a comment. Thanks.